Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > LAMPWORKING: > Hot Glass Lobby

Hot Glass Lobby Meet with your fellow glass artists, new members and discuss general off-topic subjects.

Advertise
Here

Old 10-09-06, 08:04 AM
Jim Jim is offline Male
Administrator
My location: Anaheim, CA

Jim has a spectacular aura aboutJim has a spectacular aura aboutJim has a spectacular aura about
Smile About this forum and photo-gallery...

I recently asked someone to upload some photos of their work to the gallery and their reply really surprised me. This person very nicely and respectfully decline, and said that they did not think their glass work was worthy and did not consider it artwork or something a collector would be interested in. This forum and Gallery was not set up for the collectors, although the Smart collectors and gallery/shop owners have learned they can visit places like this and find unique artwork and up-and-coming artists, that's a plus for them. The gallery is set up to share your work with your fellow glassworkers critiquing each other's work, getting help, a point of reference to where you started and what you're doing today and if a collector stops by and wants to buy your work, that's another plus.

My request was just to learn a little more about that person, the forum and Gallery are not just about artwork, it is about glassworkers and what they do. No one has to be an artist to post the photos. The idea behind the gallery is to just share your work and learn from others, and hopefully tomorrow you will make a better piece than today. Or maybe you just want to learn more about the business end. Whether you're a beginner or an artist you are all welcome to post your photos and comments and questions on the forum.

I also updated the profile page for the same reason, the information on the profile page is so the other glassworkers can learn more about you, who you are, what you like or dislike, how long you've worked glass, what you would like to learn, where you want to go with your glass, do you want to become an artist or maybe just run a successful glass/gift shop. ...interesting thought; maybe if I posted my work in the gallery I could pick up a new account, maybe if I updated the information on my profile page they would know that I retail or wholesale or only do gift shows and craft fairs etc. or that I am a collector.

You can post your photo and just put a caption under it "my daily grind". I really don't want to think about how many octopuses, elephants, bird baths, wishing wells, ships, etc. I made for Disney. But for years and years I just made production pieces and if I had photos of those I would definitely post them, just so you would know more about me and what I do.

When I first started working at Disneyland I could only make 10 or 15 octopuses in an hour, by the time I left Disney I could make 35 or 40 of them in an hour. I learned a great deal from the other glassworkers at Disney on how to improve what I made, how to make it faster and better. If you have chosen to make your living working glass there is no doubt you have bread-and-butter pieces, pieces that you make just to pay the bills. The dragon I made for many many years evolved from goofing around with other glassworkers, it started off as a swan and we changed the head and added a different style weighing and some legs, it started to resembled a dragon, I took that and refined it into a very popular item, a good gift store item, good seller.

I can make horses but I don't like to make them. When somebody asked me for a horse I would either send them to Steve Gruba or the Hooper Brothers, because they made some of the best horses I've ever seen, but they were a little pricey, yes... a lot more work went into them. If somebody was looking for a horse that was not quite so expensive I would send them to several others that I knew that made horses. But if you don't post any photos and discussed your work at all who is going to know what you make. I refer people every day, I get requests all the time for this or that, I'm sure lots of you also receive requests from friends or acquaintances, wouldn't it be nice to be able to refer to them to somebody if you did not make it yourself.

The first time I really worked glass was in front of the public, about 10 or 15 people were watching and I was nervous as could be. Harold Hacker hired me on as a sales clerk and one afternoon I was watching him make an octopus, when he finished he got up and told me to sit down and make one, he didn't have to tell me twice. As I fumbled around trying to control the glass, the glass was running off the end of the rod and dripping onto the bench, Harold leaned over and said: relax, they don't know what you're making, they are just fascinated by the hotglass, the majority of them won't even stay long enough to see you complete a piece. From that day on it never bothered me to work in front of the public.

Ro asked me about starting an message about how many people got started from watching a glass worker at Disney, where did you first see glass working being done, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, maybe a friend? I think a lot of glassworkers today got their start from watching somebody else and became totally fascinated by the hotglass, as all of you know glass working is addicting, someone said it's even worse than the worst drug you can think of, but it's legal. Once you sit down and start playing in that fire your hook.

I was thinking the Disney angle only because that?s my first memory of falling in a trance over flameworking/glass at disney world. It is my story, and lately I have been seeing other artists whose beginnings in glass were the same as mine. I was curious as to how many have the same story. I did not think of expanding it to poll everyone?s roots. I have to think about it.

Its kind of like remembering when someone spoke at your school as a young child, then growing up to be what they were. Not sure of the connections along the way, but when asked you do have that specific memory. Its not as if I knew from that moment at 8 yrs old id try to be a glass artist. But its a strong memory, I still have the pieces I bought, my horse and my brothers shark I stole from him
ro

This post is beginning to look like some kind of blog... Well, I've rambled enough this morning and it's time to get back to work.

Thanks for listening,
Jim

PS... Of course it is okay to quote me, thanks for asking though. Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no idea people were reluctant to post work, I learn so much from asking questions about other artists work and get to know them that way. I love to post new work, like a proud mama! although that feeling makes it hard to sell my babies!
Hope all is well with you, I've been out of touch for a bit, painting my moms house in Montauk to get it ready for new tenants im there during the week and home on the weekends, should be done by next week. it will be good to be home and get back on the torch!
take care
ro

Last edited by Jim; 10-09-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 04:18 PM
glasspmaria glasspmaria is offline Female
Moderators
Style:
My location: Short North, Columbus, OH

glasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud of
Gallery thoughts

I love to see what other people are up to, especially right now when my studio plans have been delayed again. I like to see work evolving and ideas being knocked back and forth. And a game of "Top This" is always fun. So are new twists on old ideas, or old ideas executed to perfection. I can't help looking through the eyes of a buyer, but that is not why I am here (at least not right now.) I just love the medium, the science and the art of glass, so fragile and demanding, yet so enduring.
What Fun!
Maria
Old 10-29-06, 06:58 AM
Lorena Lorena is offline Female
Style:

Lorena is on a distinguished road
Red face

When I read this thread, I decided to put some photos. I've been working glass around for 4 years, starting with fused, then, vitraux, mosaic, and recently beads and blow... I'm not an artist, just a student who want to learn "everything" about glass... I'm afraid, it will never end. I think the only way is sharing.
PS. Sorry for my bad english, I understand more than I can write.
Old 05-30-17, 07:18 AM
Jeramiah_Perkins Jeramiah_Perkins is offline Male
Style:

Jeramiah_Perkins is on a distinguished road
Well I very much liked the read Jim. I am very new to glass myself, but when I do start putting together some nicer pieces I will make sure to post and get feedback from everyone here, good or bad.
Old 06-01-17, 05:39 PM
glasmaker glasmaker is offline Male
Style:
: boston

glasmaker has a spectacular aura aboutglasmaker has a spectacular aura aboutglasmaker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I recently asked someone to upload some photos of their work to the gallery and their reply really surprised me. This person very nicely and respectfully decline, and said that they did not think their glass work was worthy and did not consider it artwork or something a collector would be interested in. This forum and Gallery was not set up for the collectors, although the Smart collectors and gallery/shop owners have learned they can visit places like this and find unique artwork and up-and-coming artists, that's a plus for them. The gallery is set up to share your work with your fellow glassworkers critiquing each other's work, getting help, a point of reference to where you started and what you're doing today and if a collector stops by and wants to buy your work, that's another plus.

My request was just to learn a little more about that person, the forum and Gallery are not just about artwork, it is about glassworkers and what they do. No one has to be an artist to post the photos. The idea behind the gallery is to just share your work and learn from others, and hopefully tomorrow you will make a better piece than today. Or maybe you just want to learn more about the business end. Whether you're a beginner or an artist you are all welcome to post your photos and comments and questions on the forum.

I also updated the profile page for the same reason, the information on the profile page is so the other glassworkers can learn more about you, who you are, what you like or dislike, how long you've worked glass, what you would like to learn, where you want to go with your glass, do you want to become an artist or maybe just run a successful glass/gift shop. ...interesting thought; maybe if I posted my work in the gallery I could pick up a new account, maybe if I updated the information on my profile page they would know that I retail or wholesale or only do gift shows and craft fairs etc. or that I am a collector.

You can post your photo and just put a caption under it "my daily grind". I really don't want to think about how many octopuses, elephants, bird baths, wishing wells, ships, etc. I made for Disney. But for years and years I just made production pieces and if I had photos of those I would definitely post them, just so you would know more about me and what I do.

When I first started working at Disneyland I could only make 10 or 15 octopuses in an hour, by the time I left Disney I could make 35 or 40 of them in an hour. I learned a great deal from the other glassworkers at Disney on how to improve what I made, how to make it faster and better. If you have chosen to make your living working glass there is no doubt you have bread-and-butter pieces, pieces that you make just to pay the bills. The dragon I made for many many years evolved from goofing around with other glassworkers, it started off as a swan and we changed the head and added a different style weighing and some legs, it started to resembled a dragon, I took that and refined it into a very popular item, a good gift store item, good seller.

I can make horses but I don't like to make them. When somebody asked me for a horse I would either send them to Steve Gruba or the Hooper Brothers, because they made some of the best horses I've ever seen, but they were a little pricey, yes... a lot more work went into them. If somebody was looking for a horse that was not quite so expensive I would send them to several others that I knew that made horses. But if you don't post any photos and discussed your work at all who is going to know what you make. I refer people every day, I get requests all the time for this or that, I'm sure lots of you also receive requests from friends or acquaintances, wouldn't it be nice to be able to refer to them to somebody if you did not make it yourself.

The first time I really worked glass was in front of the public, about 10 or 15 people were watching and I was nervous as could be. Harold Hacker hired me on as a sales clerk and one afternoon I was watching him make an octopus, when he finished he got up and told me to sit down and make one, he didn't have to tell me twice. As I fumbled around trying to control the glass, the glass was running off the end of the rod and dripping onto the bench, Harold leaned over and said: relax, they don't know what you're making, they are just fascinated by the hotglass, the majority of them won't even stay long enough to see you complete a piece. From that day on it never bothered me to work in front of the public.

Ro asked me about starting an message about how many people got started from watching a glass worker at Disney, where did you first see glass working being done, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, maybe a friend? I think a lot of glassworkers today got their start from watching somebody else and became totally fascinated by the hotglass, as all of you know glass working is addicting, someone said it's even worse than the worst drug you can think of, but it's legal. Once you sit down and start playing in that fire your hook.

I was thinking the Disney angle only because that?s my first memory of falling in a trance over flameworking/glass at disney world. It is my story, and lately I have been seeing other artists whose beginnings in glass were the same as mine. I was curious as to how many have the same story. I did not think of expanding it to poll everyone?s roots. I have to think about it.

Its kind of like remembering when someone spoke at your school as a young child, then growing up to be what they were. Not sure of the connections along the way, but when asked you do have that specific memory. Its not as if I knew from that moment at 8 yrs old id try to be a glass artist. But its a strong memory, I still have the pieces I bought, my horse and my brothers shark I stole from him
ro

This post is beginning to look like some kind of blog... Well, I've rambled enough this morning and it's time to get back to work.

Thanks for listening,
Jim

PS... Of course it is okay to quote me, thanks for asking though. Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no idea people were reluctant to post work, I learn so much from asking questions about other artists work and get to know them that way. I love to post new work, like a proud mama! although that feeling makes it hard to sell my babies!
Hope all is well with you, I've been out of touch for a bit, painting my moms house in Montauk to get it ready for new tenants im there during the week and home on the weekends, should be done by next week. it will be good to be home and get back on the torch!
take care
ro
I believe that if you do any kind of art, That it is showing the inner you and if one person does not agree with it there is another who see's what you are trying to express.