Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > BEADERS: > Glass bead Tricks & Tips

Glass bead Tricks & Tips Discussion of special techniques, methods, materials, and everything technical, including technical Q&A, can be found here.

Advertise
Here

Old 02-09-08, 05:10 PM
CrackedGlass CrackedGlass is offline Female
Style:
My location: Coquille, Oregon

CrackedGlass is on a distinguished road
Head Pin For Critters - Advise Needed

Howdy All...I've been making critter beads and I make many of them in two parts (head and body). The problem I'm having is when I put them on the head pin each bead wants to spin in a different direction. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to keep the head and body aligned on the head pin without the use of glue. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-09-08, 06:29 PM
CrucibleCreations CrucibleCreations is offline Male
Style:
My location: North Oaks, MN

CrucibleCreations is on a distinguished road
Hi Cracked,
I am just a beginner, so I don't know what you mean by critter beads, so I may be way off base. The thought I had was to use a divot and tab to keep the head from spinning on its shoulders. You could put a small tab extending down from the back of the head and make a small divot in the body for it to rest in. This would keep the head from spinning.
Old 02-09-08, 06:40 PM
Style:

Thanks for the reply Crucible and I had thought about doing that too, but I like to put a silver spacer or bead cap between the head and body to give the look of a collar. I also experimented with a bead I made on a 3/32 mandrel and threaded a piece of 2mm leather cord into the bead along with the silver head pin. That worked, but I almost always use a 1/16 mandrel and was hoping that someone familiar with jewelry making would be able to point me in the right direction so I wouldn't have to stuff leather down the bead hole. You can probably tell I'm not a jewelry maker, in fact I'm forcing myself to put my beads on head pins because a lot of people want to buy them ready-to-wear. I don't blame them. Anyway, thank you very much for your reply and that is an option I'll keep in mind.
Old 02-26-08, 07:21 AM
debsincascade debsincascade is offline Female
Style:
My location: Kuna, Idaho

debsincascade will become famous soon enough
Hi Cracked!

I too make all kinds of "critter" beads. I love turning them into christmas ornaments. Hot sellers during the holidays!

Try using a rubber earing back in the hole. I do this whether I'm making earrings or ornaments. Sometimes I need to trim them down or make the hole bigger for the headpin. You can find the earring backs in any jewelry catalog - Like Thunderbird or Fire Mountain.

I'm sure any kind of small rubberish material would work as long as you poke a hole thru it before you stuff it in the bead.

I hope this helps and not to late - I don't get much computer time with a 6 yr old around.

Good Luck! And Bead On!
Old 02-27-08, 05:11 PM
Style:

Thanks Debs...I did order a few in each size that Fire Mountain had but none of them worked for my 3/32 or 1/16 holes. I'm going to try to "modify" them and see what I can come up with. Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
Old 02-27-08, 06:20 PM
debsincascade debsincascade is offline Female
Style:
My location: Kuna, Idaho

debsincascade will become famous soon enough
Ok - I had another thought - you could try some polymer clay - stick it in the hole - push your head pin through then bake in oven for a few minutes.

My mind works in mysterious ways. Next time I get to play with my beads - I will probably forget this trick. hmmmm.

Good luck Cracked.

Old 03-20-08, 01:08 PM
crissy2052 crissy2052 is offline Female
Style:
My location: I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

crissy2052 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to crissy2052
Hi Cracked, have you tried using seed beads inside your beads? I use them so the the main bead stays centered. Hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to crissy2052 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-08, 06:29 PM
Style:

Thanks Crissy. I'm not a beader and didn't even think about trying that...it's worth a try. Thanks much for the info.
Old 03-22-08, 08:44 PM
CrucibleCreations CrucibleCreations is offline Male
Style:
My location: North Oaks, MN

CrucibleCreations is on a distinguished road
I was reading an old Glass Line (Vol 9 No 6) and I saw a solution to your rotating head problem. You could use two stringing holes instead of one, with thread going through both holes. The article titled "Fork-tailed Devil" details how to do it.
Best,
Christopher
Old 03-23-08, 11:20 AM
Style:

Mornin' Christopher and Happy Easter...I'll have to look through my old volumes and see if I have that one, but it sounds like you're talking about using a double-mandrel to make two holes in the beads. I'm not sure I'm up to that. I am making some progress with this problem thanks to all who've been kind enough to give their advice. I also contacted Amy Caswell and she was absolutely great about sharing her thoughts.