Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > BEADERS: > Glass beads general discussion area

Glass beads general discussion area Glass beads general discussion area

Advertise
Here

Old 11-02-07, 01:55 PM
flame angel flame angel is offline Undisclosed
Style:

flame angel is on a distinguished road
Bead Release Removal

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions to make removing bead release simple. I have soaked the finished beads in water and used a drill press with diamond bits, but this takes too long. Has anyone heard of pickle juice? I saw it on once on one of the home channels and have even found a recipe for it a few years ago, then lost it before getting a chance to try it. I know vinegar and salt are the two ingredients, what I do not know is in what ratios. I would even be happy to buy it if it is effective. Thanks for any input, it is much appreciated!
Old 11-04-07, 06:21 AM
dogmaw dogmaw is offline Female
Style:
My location: Pendleton, SC

dogmaw will become famous soon enough
One thing I have found is that if you soak your beads in a vinegar mix it makes them *much* easier to clean. I have a glass jar, filled half full of white vinegar, a little dish soap, then then some water. Soak your beads over night and it really loosens up the release. This is also a good mix to put your beads that are stuck on the mandrel into.
Old 11-08-07, 06:15 AM
sonshyne sonshyne is offline Female
Style:
: Bitterroot Mountains of Montana

sonshyne will become famous soon enough
Hi Jo and Flame angel,

I soak my sticks in water for about 15 minutes. After I remove the beads from their sticks I use a high-speed cordless, dermal tool with a diamond bit to clean the holes. If the beads have clear glass then I go over the holes one more time with a hand bead reamer to polish things up. During this process I keep the beads wet to prevent dust from flying around, it is nasty stuff and a person really does not want to breathe it. I found this method cleans the bead release out completely and looks really cool with clear glass.

Good luck on this and happy beading,
Rae
Old 11-08-07, 09:28 AM
Style:

Thumbs up

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestions, they are much appreciated and I will try them. I find when using the smallest mandrels, I do not have such a problem. But, when using the larger ones, it takes more effort to remove the bead release, even with a drill bit. If it did not bother my tendonitis-carpal tunnel I do not feel it would be as difficult. Thanks again!!!
Old 11-08-07, 05:02 PM
sonshyne sonshyne is offline Female
Style:
: Bitterroot Mountains of Montana

sonshyne will become famous soon enough
Flame angel,

You might want to change bead releases and see it that helps. Some bead release is a real bear when it comes to getting your beads off of the stick. The stuff we use is “Fusion Bead Separator”. I love it ~ it holds up to my abuse when I am making big beads on big sticks. It is easy to get the bead off the stick after a short soak in water and it cleans out of the holes nicely.

Good luck and have a great day,
Rae
Old 11-17-07, 09:06 PM
patienthand patienthand is offline Female
email-bounced
Style:
My location: orlando Fl

patienthand is on a distinguished road
I toss my beads into one of those sonic jewelry cleaners after I ream them out. Works great, and even better.. no work for me.

Candice King
Old 11-19-07, 11:14 AM
Style:

Thank you for the great idea; I will invest in one. By the way- do you have a favorite bead release that works well with this method? Have a wonderful holiday!!!
Old 11-26-07, 04:49 PM
email-bounced
Style:

Talking

hm, well when I took a sabatical from glass about 7 years ago, sludge was the best stuff going. Now there is more than one style of sludge. but when I started out many moons ago we made our own release from diatomascious earth and kaolin clay.

Some old glass pals were here a week or so ago, and left me a bottle of a brand new bead release thats supposed to be low residue. So far I am loving it. I will check the bottle when i am in the shop tomorow and post it for you.
I do have to double dip my mandrels to get a thick enough coating that I am not struggling to get the bead off its so tight. But I also havent had any stick to the mandrel so far. I have soaked the beads for a few minutes and removed them easier than with sludge, and there is dang little residue. I have just put a tooth pick through them a couple times in water and they are CLEAN as a whistle.

I had one bead make bubbles because I didnt drive enough moisture out of the release before sarting. when it popped at the surface I put the mandrel aside rather than risk a bead I put a lot of time into sticking to the mandrel. Well, I removed the oops and cleaned it, and there is ahole where I can see to the center of the bead, and there is no residue. YAYYYYYYY!!!

you can also dip and flame dry just like with sludge too.

Candice
Old 11-27-07, 12:25 PM
email-bounced
Style:

I have the info for the new type of bead release

K.R.A.G MUDD
1-888-865-2228
www.kittrellriffkind.com

I have no idea of its cost etc. I was given a small bottle by a friend who taught a workshop in connection with these folks in texas. But I like the product a lot so far.

Candice
Old 05-18-08, 11:54 AM
Holts Artistic Glass Holts Artistic Glass is offline Male
email-bounced
Style:
: California

Holts Artistic Glass is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I haven't reviewed the boards lately, as I have been busy working on our glass website; soon to be published. We are very excited here at Holts Artistic Glass.

I would like to thank you for the information. I will check it out and report back with details regarding price and any feedback after I try it. Perhaps it will be something we can offer on our website's Supplies page.