Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > MARBLES: > Marble

Marble Marble

Advertise
Here

Old 02-28-07, 12:07 PM
REDFRO REDFRO is offline Male
email-bounced
Style:
: CORONA CA

REDFRO will become famous soon enough
Can I Do Glass?

I Like To Work With Metal. I Like The Fire And Beating Stuff With A Big Hammer. My Wife Wants Me To Make Her A Big Dragon Fly With Big Glass Eyes. The Body Is Mostly Done But I Don't Know Enough About Glass To Do What I Want. I Want To Put Several Small Marbles Together In A Metal Ring And Melt Them Together On The Back So That When You Turn It Over Ti Will Look Like The Compound Eye Of A Bug. I Have An O/a Torch. I Can Get The Marbles Soft But They Don't Really Melt.

Any Ideas?
Fro
Old 03-01-07, 04:47 AM
rosglassworld rosglassworld is offline Female
Style:
My location: Deer Park, Long Island NY

rosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud of
i use honeycomb technique with colors like ga amazon night/lagoon etc. heat tip of rod to size you want, place small dots of clear around the tip and then between those down the gather, melt in all at once, punti fix bottom to shape you want, pop in kiln. for already made marbles you can use glue, im loving triolyse at the moment works great heres one link for it sets up in 30 sec, full cure at 6 hrs at 70 degrees f http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=187908
ro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2945 rosglassworld red dragonfly 640.jpg (111.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2944 rosglassworld teal dragonfly 640.jpg (74.2 KB, 25 views)

www.rosglassworld.com

My Contribution(s) To The World Of Glass: Constructing an Apache Helicopter
Old 03-01-07, 06:23 AM
email-bounced
Style:

Whoa Slow Down, The Only Thing I Understood Was Glue Them Together. I Think I Need To Read Up More To Understand What People Are Talking About.
The Torch I Have Is An O/a I Use On Metal. The Acetylene Is Not A Very Clean Burning Gas. When I Use It On The Glass It Makes It Look Burnt. Could The Glass Absorb The Impurities Of The Torch?
Old 03-01-07, 07:32 AM
glasspmaria glasspmaria is offline Female
Moderators
Style:
My location: Short North, Columbus, OH

glasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud ofglasspmaria has much to be proud of
I think the main problem is that the torch is too hot and you ARE burning the glass. Glass is also affected by oxygen and will change color in either a reduction (no oxy) or oxidize in a hi oxy atmosphere. This is often used deliberately for effect.
Most torch glass workers use either MAPP gas (a blend of propane and acetylene) and a HotHead torch, propane/oxy or a natural gas/oxy torch. You may just want to buy a canister of MAPP and an appropriate brazing torch head from the hardware store and see if that works. Or just go for the glue. (In this situation, since it is a one shot deal, I would do glue.)
Good luck!
Maria
Old 03-01-07, 11:46 AM
email-bounced
Style:

I Do Have Some Mapp, I'll Try It. Glue Would Work But What Fun Is That? Does Glass Ever Get To A Point Where It Would Flow Or Does It Just Get Mushy?
Old 03-01-07, 12:46 PM
obsessoriesglass obsessoriesglass is offline Female
Style:
My location: Toledo, Ohio

obsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of light
If you get the glass hot enough it can get to the consistency of honey. Are you using marbles you got at a store? If so, the particular "recipe" for that glass may make it difficult to work with. The glass that we buy is specifically made to be worked in a flame. Other types of glass are not and can give you all kinds of problems. Have you ever done any enameling? You could do some interesting things with enamel and copper domes. Otherwise you could maybe cut the marbles in half and create bezels for them. There is always the possibility of finding someone who lives close to you who might be wiling to collaborate or show you some things. If this is something you would like to learn, you've come to the right place. There is a ton of wonderful information here and lots of people who will answer any questions you have. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Malissa
Old 03-02-07, 10:36 AM
email-bounced
Style:

Enamel And Copper? Can You Explain, Or Got Pics?
I Was Using Pyrex Rods. I Made A Disc And Then Put B.b.'s On It And Tryed To Melt Glass Over Them So It Would Look Like A Bug Eye But I Couldn't Get The Glass To Flow It Just Kinda Blobbed.
Old 03-03-07, 06:10 AM
rosglassworld rosglassworld is offline Female
Style:
My location: Deer Park, Long Island NY

rosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud of
isnt acetylene hotter than propane? should melt it fine, if burnt looking maybe its carbon build up due to reduction flame, try adding more oxy to it? cant wait to see pics of your project! you can encase copper pieces in pyrex, get glass very hot, mash onto top of copper cutouts or , encase clear over these once covered with more clear its ok to apply heat to fix final shape, try not to direct heat at copper until its covered. not sure if little copper balls would work/crack? but cutout dots of thin sheet would i use it all the time, you can use paper punch to cut out dots.
ro

www.rosglassworld.com

My Contribution(s) To The World Of Glass: Constructing an Apache Helicopter
Old 03-03-07, 01:03 PM
email-bounced
Style:

Maria?.
My Biggest Problem Is Glass Working Knowledge. It's Hard To See In My Mind What People Are Talking About Because I Have Not Seen It Done Before. Usually If I See Somthing, It's Easy For Me To Copy With Some Practice. Is There Any Way You Can Explain The Copper Thing With The Non-glass Worker In Mind? It Soulds Like The Kind Of Thing I'm Looking To Do.
Old 03-04-07, 07:22 AM
Lan Lan is offline Female
Style:
: Jiangsu,China

Lan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Lan Send a message via Yahoo to Lan Send a message via Skype™ to Lan
Hi Fro,
Wish you a great success in this field.
I like it very much!
If come question, you may give me email here or via my account kwylan@yahoo.com.cn
Sincerely,
Lan