Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > MARBLES: > Marble Tricks & Tips

Marble Tricks & Tips Discussion of special techniques, methods, materials, and everything technical, including technical Q&A, can be found here.

Advertise
Here

Old 09-25-07, 05:11 PM
sparrow7ch sparrow7ch is offline Male
email-bounced
Style:

sparrow7ch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjeant View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to marbles and would love advice on a problem I'm having. I have a National 6B torch and I've been trying to make borosilicate marbles. I can never get colors and/or other clear layers to melt completely in. When I've annealed the marble it comes out with ridges and dimples. I'm spending two hours or more rotating marbles in the hottest flame I can get and using marble molds trying to get it smooth and round. I know a lot of the problem is my lack of experience but 2+ hours on each marble seems excessive. I was hoping to start doing production of these so this problem is really concerning me.

I'm attaching a link to a page showing an example of a marble that I had this problem with. For this marble, I wound yellow coloring around the clear, added two layers of dots, and spiraled some colors at the bottom.
http://homepage.mac.com/jenjeant/PhotoAlbum5.html

Any advice or suggestions you have would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Jenny
I had the exact same problem. I was using a Wale Firebird and making inch and a half marbles - for eight months! It was taking me two hours to implode a flower and dot and twirl the back. So I just got a Carlile CC with a foot pedal for the outer flame. The same marble - 45 - 60 minutes now, and the more I get used to the additional heat the faster it will go. But if you are doing this as a hobby, what's the rush?
Old 11-01-07, 02:45 PM
Toast Toast is offline Male
Style:

Toast is a glorious beacon of lightToast is a glorious beacon of lightToast is a glorious beacon of lightToast is a glorious beacon of lightToast is a glorious beacon of lightToast is a glorious beacon of light
Late post to question

Hi Jenny,

Sorry its taken a while to get this. I have some insight into your problem with your marble and would love to share it with you. First of all I recreated your problem on my National 3A torch (pre National 6b) I tryed the tip you have and let me tell you this. No Way!! I can't generate enough heat for it to completely melt the way it should. Also if the marble is large its a wonder you can get it to somewhat round at all. So I changed up to a 12 pin tip on my 3A and I can get it to melt in just fine but once I get to the 1 inch size or larger I'm fast approaching the limits of what that little torch will do. It becomes more and more difficult to get the larger marble to round.
I have been building some reticello's using the 3A and as long as its small it works just fine.
Good luck
Toast
Old 11-02-07, 07:32 AM
jenjeant jenjeant is offline Female
Style:
My location: Northern California

jenjeant will become famous soon enough
Thanks so much for the replies I continue to get on this thread. I ended up upgrading to a GTT Cheetah and that solved ALL my problems. My national just didn't have enough power!

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-07, 08:10 PM
drewspuppet drewspuppet is offline Undisclosed
Style:

drewspuppet is on a distinguished road
Yep, you need to be able to fully melt to do any damage.