Hot Glass Forums  

Welcome to the Hot Glass Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our Flameworking community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Forum-Index Social Groups Glassified ADS Photo Gallery Members-Map
Go Back   Hot Glass Forums > MARBLES: > Marble Tricks & Tips

Marble Tricks & Tips Discussion of special techniques, methods, materials, and everything technical, including technical Q&A, can be found here.

Advertise
Here

Old 04-08-06, 07:12 AM
rosglassworld rosglassworld is offline Female
Style:
My location: Deer Park, Long Island NY

rosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud of
Retticello

any tips appreciated!!! I tried a few, not so good. I put lines down rod, twisted tight, more lines, twisted the other way. not getting clean deliniation. maybe a layer of clear between? also tips melting termination without distorting.
thanks
ro

www.rosglassworld.com

My Contribution(s) To The World Of Glass: Constructing an Apache Helicopter
Old 04-08-06, 08:43 AM
Rex Trimm Rex Trimm is offline Male
Style:
: Ailiquippa PA

Rex Trimm is on a distinguished road
Not an expert but...

I would encase those colors before you draw em. But that's not how I do it, so I could tell you to blow a point into another point if you were going for hollow. But somehow, someone will tell you how to do the solid stuff in great detail.
Old 04-08-06, 09:12 AM
Deborah C. Deborah C. is offline Female
Forum Helpers
Style:
My location: Denver, Colorado

Deborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Deborah C.
Ro, What you are describing is the pipers form of retticello (commonly called a "ratti") Not the true form of a retticello, which is what Rex does (quite well, I might add) The "ratti" is an imitation of the real thing, made to look like a real retticello by way of design, but is actually just another decoration. In the ratti, you actually twist the lines over one another (which gives it the retticello look), but you do it on the tip of a sealed tube. On the outside, you lay down stringers that go from the tip of the sealed tube, down about two inches, like the spokes on an umbrella. Then, add a punty to one end and get this hot enough to make it move, You may have to give it a couple of puffs to get the end from shrinking in on itself. When it is hot enough to move, you rotate the lines 360 degrees and puff it back out again. Then, you start at the top of one of the original lines and lay down a stringer that goes straight down and touches that same original line (The original line has been twisted 360 degrees). Do the same with all the lines, then melt in and twist back in the other direction about 180 degrees (don't forget to puff every once in a while to keep the ball shape on the end of the tube.) Add a punty to the end, heat just below the design screaming hot and blow to get that area thin, pop the thin part and the rest should rip right off with the design still attached to the punty. Heat the design and flip it inside out, flatten and you have it. You can color in the spaces if you prefer. Use the "ratti" as you would a murrine. You might want to add a blob of clear to the face to incase in a marble. I learned how to do this at AGI (which is a good reason to go.) If you want to learn how to do a real retticello, ask Rex or any good blowing book with the old masters will have an explaintion of that technique.
Rex, I need to pratice a real retticello (my aim sucks). Hope to get some pointers from you on this at AGI this year. Deb
FYI - I have a demo article in this new Glass LIne on twisties and such that should give a good description of what a true retticello is.

deborah
www.shootingstarglassstudio.com
dc@deborahcarlson.com
Quote:
"If you don't ask, the answer is NO!"
Old 04-08-06, 05:31 PM
Style:

rosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud ofrosglassworld has much to be proud of
thanks

thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro

www.rosglassworld.com

Old 04-09-06, 06:54 AM
Rex Trimm Rex Trimm is offline Male
Style:
: Ailiquippa PA

Rex Trimm is on a distinguished road
hahaha

I'm teaching the stuff and puff class in July at Technolux if you're interested in the hollow side of things... I noticed you're in Long Island.

Hey Deb, you should see if you can do it with 90 coe tubing since your all hot on Bullseye now. You should see what I can do with soda tubing now... kinda makes me want to switch over. You should do the Andre class... the stuff aint easy to learn on your own.
Old 04-09-06, 05:02 PM
Deborah C. Deborah C. is offline Female
Forum Helpers
Style:
My location: Denver, Colorado

Deborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to allDeborah C. is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Deborah C.
I'd love to take the class in June, but I'm attending the GAS conference and my son is graduating from college with degree #2 (music therapy) sometime in June (not sure yet) , and my daughter is graduating with a master's in teaching in June. Next year.....
PS I'm only working Bullsey because I've been fusing for 22 years and trying to find my niche in the teaching world. There was a lack of information and teachers in the middle ground of COEs. I'll try the retticello with the 90, but am much better at working the boro. Trouble is, glass gets stiffer faster at altitude, so maybe working the 90 or 96 would give me a better chance at succeding. I'll give it a try. Would love to take the class though... it's sooooooo tempting...just don't have the time. Family does come first. Deb

deborah
www.shootingstarglassstudio.com
dc@deborahcarlson.com
Quote:
"If you don't ask, the answer is NO!"
Old 05-02-06, 11:51 AM
glassboy glassboy is offline Male
Style:
: Covina,Ca

glassboy will become famous soon enough
Hey Deb, you lost me at pop the thin part and turn in side out. Could you explain a little more on this issue. Thanks and here is a web site that has pics of a ratti being made by Josh Sable http://www.pbase.com/bkbowden/joshcreates . Hope it helps. Glassboy
Old 05-03-06, 05:04 AM
Style:

thanks for that link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
its great
Ro

www.rosglassworld.com

Old 05-03-06, 12:32 PM
glassboy glassboy is offline Male
Style:
: Covina,Ca

glassboy will become famous soon enough
pulling inside out

Ro, what did you mean by pulling inside out???? You said pop the thin part and pull inside out. I have heard this before but not sure what it means. How do you pull it inside out? Thanks Glassboy
Old 11-08-06, 03:57 PM
obsessoriesglass obsessoriesglass is offline Female
Style:
My location: Toledo, Ohio

obsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of lightobsessoriesglass is a glorious beacon of light
That's a great link. As I understood it, traditional reticello is distinctive because it traps bubbles between layers of glass in a grid pattern. Is that correct?